And the Spirit & the bride say, come.... Reveaaltion 22:17

And the Spirit & the bride say, come.... Reveaaltion 22:17
And the Spirit & the bride say, come...Revelation 22:17 - May We One Day Bow Down In The DUST At HIS FEET ...... {click on blog TITLE at top to refresh page}---QUESTION: ...when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? LUKE 18:8

Saturday, December 21, 2013

E.G.W. visit to Veterans' Home

"Yesterday we drove to the Veterans' Home at Yountville--a distance of thirteen miles--where I spoke in the chapel, according to previous announcement. The State has erected several large buildings at Yountville, as a home and a hospital for aged and disabled soldiers. Nearly a thousand soldiers are cared for in this institution.
For several months services have been held regularly at the Veterans' Home. A company of workers from this vicinity has visited the soldiers every other Sabbath, conducting a song service, speaking to them, and distributing reading matter among them.
Yesterday I visited the Home for the first time. To the soldiers gathered in the chapel, I spoke from the fourteenth chapter of John. As I stood before them I saw many men of fine appearance. All seemed to be deeply interested, and paid good attention. I spoke for thirty-five minutes. After the service was closed, several expressed themselves as being much pleased with my remarks. One old man said to me, "You spoke to us the words of life. It was good to hear them."
One man was there in whom I feel a deep interest. In the early days of the message, in 1843 and 1844, Brother and Sister Foy of Brunswick, Maine, accepted the message of Christ's soon coming. A few years later our people held meetings in Brunswick and in Topsham, a city near Brunswick. As a result, a few accepted the Sabbath truth, among whom were Brother and Sister Stockbridge Howland and their two daughters of Topsham, and Brother Foy and his family of Brunswick. I was well acquainted with both families.
Brother and Sister Howland and Brother and Sister Foy are sleeping in Jesus. They died true to the faith. Brother Howland's daughters are still living. John, a son of Brother and Sister Foy, has for years been connected with the Battle Creek Sanitarium as gardener. A few weeks ago I learned, to my surprise, that the other son, Stephen, is at the Veterans'  Home in Yountville. I last saw him--then a lad of seven years--in Brunswick, Maine. Yesterday we renewed our acquaintance. He is now 50 years old. It was a most interesting meeting to us both.
I have sent down several copies of Desire of Ages and other of my books to be lent to the soldiers. Mr. Foy takes charge of them and circulates them among those who desire to read them.
 During the week, a little company of soldiers meets together in the grove for prayer and Bible study. One man at the home is observing the Sabbath." Manuscript 86, 1903 E.G.W.

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you:
not as the world giveth, give I unto you.
John 14:27
 
 "Oct. 24, 1882, a 910 acre site was purchased in Yountville for $17,500.... The grounds also had a successful dairy, hog farm, chicken ranch and was the home for 800 veterans of the Mexican, Civil, and Indian wars." Wikipedia
Private William B. Hart
(One of many Vets buried at Yountville Veterans' Cemetery)
He Moved into the Napa Old Soldiers Home around 1905 after suffering a stroke which made it very hard for him to take care of himself, And its there he passed away on March 1st 1910 of a 2nd stroke at age 67.
Yountville
Napa County
California, USA
Plot: Unknown