And the Spirit & the bride say, come.... Reveaaltion 22:17

And the Spirit & the bride say, come.... Reveaaltion 22:17
And the Spirit & the bride say, come...Revelation 22:17 - May We One Day Bow Down In The DUST At HIS FEET ...... {click on blog TITLE at top to refresh page}---QUESTION: ...when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? LUKE 18:8

Saturday, April 5, 2014

ARCHAEOLOGY: Mesha Stone of Moab


And Mesha king of Moab was a sheepmaster,

and rendered unto the king of Israel an hundred thousand lambs,
and an hundred thousand rams,
with the wool.
But it came to pass, when Ahab was dead,
that the king of Moab rebelled against the king of Israel.
2 Kings 3:4,5
"In the Bible it says that Mesha the king of Moab was paying tribute to Israel and that they suddenly stopped: "Mesha, king of Moab rebelled against the king of Israel..." (2 Kings 3:5). Well, Mesha made his own record of this rebellion, and the record has been found. It is known today as "The Mesha Stele" or the more popular designation "The Moabite Stone." It was found in 1868 at Dibon, in Moab. Dibon is located 20 miles east of the Dead Sea. Amazingly enough it was discovered by chance by F.A. Klein, a German missionary who had heard rumors of this stone while visiting the area. It was a bluish basalt stone, about 4 feet high and 2 feet wide, and 14 inches thick, with an inscription from king Mesha.






What is Written on the Stone?
  1. "I am Mesha, son of Chemosh[-yatti], the king of Moab, the Dibonite.
  2. My father (had) reigned over Moab for thirty years, and I reigned
  3. after my father. And I made this high-place for Chemosh in Qarcho . . .
  4. because he has delivered me from all kings, and because he has made me triumph over all my enemies. As for Omri
  5. the king of Israel, and he humbled Moab for many years (days), for Chemosh was angry with his land.
  6. And his son reigned in his place; and he also said, "I will oppress Moab!" In my days he said so.
  7. But I ltriumphed over him and over his house, and Israel has perished; it has  perished forever! And Omri took possession of the whole land of Medeba,
  8. and he lived there in his days and half the days of his son (Ahab): forty years.
  9. But Chemosh restored it in my days. And I built Baal Meon, and I built a water reservoir in it. And I built
  10. Qiryaten. And the men of Gad lived in the land of Atarot from ancient times; and the king of Israel
  11. built Atarot for himself, and I fought against the city and captured it. And I killed all the people of
  12. the city as a sacrifice for Chemosh and for Moab. And I brought back the fire-hearth of his uncle from there; and I brought it
  13. before the face of Chemosh in Qerioit, and I made the men of Sharon live there, as well as the men of Maharit.
  14. And Chemosh said to me, "Go, take Nebo from Israel."
  15. And I went in the night and fought against it from the daybreak until midday, and I took it
  16. and I killed the whole population: seven thousand male subjects and aliens, and female subjects, aliens, and servant girls.
  17. For I had devoted them to destruction for (the god) Ashtar Chemosh. And from there I took the
  18. vessels of Yahweh, and I presented them before the face of Chemosh. And the king of Israel had built
  19. Yahaz, and he stayed there throughout his campaign against me; and Chemosh drove him away before my face. And
  20. I took two hundred men of Moab, all first class (warriors), and I led it up to Yahaz. And I have taken it
  21. in order to add it to Dibon. I have built Qarcho, the wall of the woods and the wall of
  22. the citadel; and I have built its gates; and I have built its towers; and
  23. I have built the house of the king; and I have made the double reservoir for the spring in the innermost part of the city.
  24. Now the innermost part of the city had no cistern, in Qarcho, and I said to all the people, "Each one of you shall make
  25. a cistern in his house." And I cut the moat for Qarcho by using Israelite captives.
  26. I have built Aroer, and I constructed the military road in Arnon (valley).
  27. I have built Beth-Bamot, for it had been destroyed. I have built Bezer, for it lay
  28. in ruins. And the men of Dibon stood in battle formation, for all Dibon were in subjection. And I am the king
  29. over the hundreds in the towns which I have added to the land. And I have built
  30. Beth-Medeba and Beth-Diblaten and Beth-Baal-Meon, and I brought there . . .
  31. flocks of the the land. And the House of [Da]vid dwelt in Hauranen, . . .
  32. Chemosh said to me, "Go down, fight against Hauranen!" I went down . . . and Chemosh restored it in my days . . ." BibleHistory