And it shall be, when ye have taken the city,
that ye shall set the city on fire:
And Joshua burnt Ai,
and made it an heap for ever, even a desolation unto this day.
* "Jesus" is Greek for "Joshua"
* The enemy are destroyed outside the city, as the wicked are destroyed outside the city of the New Jerusalem
* 12,000 are killed (notice that 12,000 also is the root of the symbolic 144,000, a number representing God's people, made up of 12,000 from each tribe of Israel)--sort of a symbolic inverse relationship here
* The city is destroyed by fire like spiritual Babylon is in the end
* The king of Ai (Lucifer), hung on a tree (symbolic inverse relationship to Christ (spiritual Joshua) whom he hung on a tree of a cross / as for a heap of stones on the kings body, so too we are told Lucifer will be made ashes and trod upon
And the king of Ai he hanged on a tree until eventide: and as soon as the sun was down, Joshua commanded that they should take his carcase down from the tree, and cast it at the entering of the gate of the city, and raise thereon a great heap of stones, that remaineth unto this day.