And the Spirit & the bride say, come.... Reveaaltion 22:17

And the Spirit & the bride say, come.... Reveaaltion 22:17
And the Spirit & the bride say, come...Revelation 22:17 - May We One Day Bow Down In The DUST At HIS FEET ...... {click on blog TITLE at top to refresh page}---QUESTION: ...when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? LUKE 18:8

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

PSALM 55: Betrayed by those Closest

Psalm 55:
My heart is sore pained within me: and the terrors of death are fallen upon me.
Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me.
Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest.
vs.4-6
 
"The psalm is a prayer by one who is being unjustly harassed and who has been betrayed by a friend.
 The high point of the psalm for Christians who have been “stabbed in the back” by a confidant is verse 22. David seems to be painted first, and then there is painted an image of our Lord.
 
I.       The Prayer of Distress (55:1-8).

 I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise; vs.2
II.      The Prayer for Justice (55:9-15).
Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues: vs.9
III.     The Prayer of Assurance (55:16-23).
Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice. vs.17
 
 It is a looking-glassthis Book of Psalmswhich reflects us all.
For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it:
But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance.
We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.
vs.12-14
There always has been, and always will be, a mixture of good and bad, sound and unsound, in the visible church, between whom, perhaps for a long time, we can discern no difference; but the searcher of hearts does. David, who went to the house of God in his sincerity, had Ahithophel in company with him, who went in his hypocrisy....
It is Ahithophel;
it is Judas Iscariot;
it is either; it is both.
Who will give me wings like a dove? (vs.6) These words mean more than merely that he could find no mode of escape."
 
Cast thy burden upon the LORD,
and he shall sustain thee: vs.22
BooksOfTheBible/MatthewHenry/CharlesSpurgeon/Calvin