And the Spirit & the bride say, come.... Reveaaltion 22:17

And the Spirit & the bride say, come.... Reveaaltion 22:17
And the Spirit & the bride say, come...Revelation 22:17 - May We One Day Bow Down In The DUST At HIS FEET ...... {click on blog TITLE at top to refresh page}---QUESTION: ...when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? LUKE 18:8

Thursday, January 24, 2019

PSALM 17: A Prayer of David

PSALM 17:
 Hear the right, O LORD,
attend unto my cry,
give ear unto my prayer,
 that goeth not out of feigned lips.
vs.1
Psalm 17 is one of three that bear the title “A prayer of David” (also 86 and 142). It is a most appropriate heading since the psalm is rich with words for petition: “hear, attend, unto, give ear,” and so on.

After an initial cry to God (verses 1-2),
--David defends his character and motives (verses 3-5).
--On this basis, he is able to offer his petition, which includes both a beautiful prayer for divine protection (verse 8),
--and a repulsive description of his would-be captors (verses 9-12).
*The request, “Keep me as the apple of the eye” (verse 8), is a petition that God protect David just as a man protects the pupil of his eye, the most sensitive part of the most sensitive member of the body.


David approaches the divine court with 3 clusters of appeals in seeking justice.
(1)   Appeals Dealing with Response and Recognition (17:1-5).

Let my sentence come forth from thy presence; vs.2
(2)  Appeals Dealing with Rescue and Relief (17:6-12).
I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: vs.6
      A.  His Need for Rescue is Presented (17:6-8);
 O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them. vs.7
      B.   His Need for Relief is Documented (17:9-12).
 They have now compassed us in our steps: vs.11
(3) Appeals Dealing with Retribution and Rest (17:13-15).
From men which are thy hand, O LORD, from men of the world, which have their portion in this life, vs.14
      A.  His Anticipation of Their Retribution (17:13-14);
... deliver my soul from the wicked, ... vs.13
      B.   His Assurance of His Own Rest (17:15).
 As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness. vs.15
This is the first psalm simply entitled “A Prayer” .
Keep me as the apple of the eye,
 hide me under the shadow of thy wings,...
vs. 8
BooksOfTheBible