After Job’s complaints and the dialogue with his friends, God spoke to Job: “Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind and said: ‘Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? Dress for action like a man; I will question you, and you make it known to Me’” (Job 38:1–3).
God was now going to help Job understand who God is.
The first thing God said to teach Job was this: “‘Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements—surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?’” (Job 38:4–7).
God was making it clear to Job that he wasn’t there when God made the earth. God asked, “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?” It’s significant that God began by speaking about the fact He created the earth." Ken Ham
