And the Spirit & the bride say, come.... Reveaaltion 22:17

And the Spirit & the bride say, come.... Reveaaltion 22:17
And the Spirit & the bride say, come...Revelation 22:17 - May We One Day Bow Down In The DUST At HIS FEET ...... {click on blog TITLE at top to refresh page}---QUESTION: ...when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? LUKE 18:8

Sunday, July 1, 2018

Psalm 3 & 4: The Morning & Evening Psalm

"There are certain similarities between Psalms 3 and 4. For example, the former is sometimes labeled a morning psalm (I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me. 3:5), while the latter has been called an evening psalm ( I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. 4:8). In both, David is besieged with suffering, injustice and oppression.

Psalm 3.
PSALM 3 (click on Link to Listen)
https://www.youtube.com/embed/QN8Jfl2xPKw

This psalm intermingles both lament and confidence.... it becomes a pattern for praise, peace and prayer amidst pressure....David shares his theological “secret” of having assurance in the face of adversity.
1.   The Psalmist’s Predicament (3:1-2);
LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! vs.1
2.   The Psalmist’s Peace (3:3-6);
I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me. vs.6
3.   The Psalmist’s Prayer (3:7-8).
Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God: vs.7
The first of 73 psalms attributed to David by superscription. Further information connects its occasion with the Absalom episode.

  I laid myself down and slept, composed and quiet; and awaked refreshed, for the Lord sustained me.
(1) This is applicable to the common mercies of every night, which we ought to give thanks for alone, and every morning.
(2) It seems here to be meant of the wonderful quietness and calmness of David’s spirit, in the midst of his dangers.
(3) Some of the ancients apply it to the resurrection of Christ. In his sufferings he offered up strong cries, and was heard; and therefore, though he laid down and slept the sleep of death, yet he awaked the third day, for the Lord sustained him, that he should not see corruption.

Salvation belongeth unto the Lord - It is God alone who saves....to him alone the praise of all saved souls is due. ....David adds his selah here also: mark this!

Psalm 4.
PSALM 4 (click on Link to Listen)

Verse 8 indicates that this psalm is an evening prayer.
David engages in 3 conversations which ultimately lead to a point of blessed relaxation:
1.   Praying to God for Preservation (4:1);
Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: vs.1
2.   Reasoning with His enemies about Repentance (4:2-5);
Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. vs.4
3.   Praising God for True Perspective (4:6-8).
.. for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. vs.8
Psalm 4 introduces the first of 55 assignments to the master, director or chief overseer of worship services in its title. Further instruction is given in the direction “on stringed instruments”.
 
Know that Jehovah hath set apart - Hebrew word פלה, Phalah, signifies to separate, and it here refers to separation to honor and dignity;...."Tremble and sin not." How many reverse this counsel and sin but tremble not......There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? There were many, even among David's own followers, who wanted to see rather than to believe. Alas! this is the tendency of us all!
Sweet Evening Hymn!
I shall not sit up to watch through fear, but I will lie down;
 and then I will not lie awake listening to every rustling sound,
 but I will lie down in peace and sleep,
for I have nought to fear.
He that hath the wings of God above him needs no other curtain."
BooksOfTheBible/Calvin/MatthewHenry/Charles Spurgeon