And the Spirit & the bride say, come.... Reveaaltion 22:17

And the Spirit & the bride say, come.... Reveaaltion 22:17
And the Spirit & the bride say, come...Revelation 22:17 - May We One Day Bow Down In The DUST At HIS FEET ...... {click on blog TITLE at top to refresh page}---QUESTION: ...when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? LUKE 18:8

Saturday, August 15, 2020

PSALM 71: Psalm for Old Age

PSALM 71:
Cast me not off in the time of old age;
Now also when I am old and grayheaded,
O God, forsake me not;
until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation,
and thy power to every one that is to come.
vs.9,18

"This psalm to God expresses the concerns of old age. At a time in his life when he thinks he should be exempt from certain kinds of troubles, he once again is personally attacked....This psalm is clearly the prayer of an elderly man threatened by his enemies (verses 9, 18). Before expressing his petition proper, the psalmist first states a brief introduction to his petition (verses 1-4).
He reinforces these words with a marvelous statement of his lifelong trust in the Lord (verses 5-8).
This section is rich with expression of trust and communion with God: “Thou are my hope” (verse 5), “thou art my trust" (verse 5), “thou are he” (verse 6).

I. Confidence in God Stated (71:1-8)
In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust... vs.1
II. Confidence in God Practiced in Prayer (71:9-13).
O God, be not far from me.. vs.12
III. Confidence in God Vindicated (71:14-24).
Thy righteousness also, O God, is very high, who hast done great things: O God, who is like unto thee! vs.19
David prays that he might never be made ashamed of dependence upon God.
vs. 9. Cast me not off in the time of old age - The original might be translated and paraphrased thus: "Thou wilt not cast me off till the time of old age; and according to the failure of my flesh, thou wilt not forsake me." My expectation of rest and happiness will not be deferred till the time that I shall be an aged man, Thou wilt not withdraw thy presence from me as my flesh decays, and as my natural strength abates; but, on the contrary, as my outward man decays, my inward man shall be renewed day by day.
It was in David's old age that the rebellion of Absalom took place."
BooksOfTheBible/ChrlesSpurgeon
 
By thee have I been holden up from the womb:
thou art he that took me out of my mother's bowels:
my praise shall be continually of thee.
vs.6